3D ORGANON SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY BOARD
Athanasios Raikos, MD, MClinEd, Dr med
Director (Medis Media Pty Ltd), Assistant Professor of Anatomy (Bond University)
Dr. Athanasios Raikos, is a medical practitioner and an Assistant Professor of Anatomy at Bond University in Australia. Dr. Raikos has a solid background in surgical anatomy and medical education research and has published numerous research papers in academic journals and conferences. He is a passionate visionary…
… about the implementation of immersive VR and AR technologies in remote learning and education. He is the founder and CEO of 3D ORGANON, a multi-awarded startup venture that specializes in 3D and VR anatomy medical education. In 2018 Dr. Raikos established a strategic partnership with HTC and VIVE, leading corporations in VR headset manufacturing and mobile technologies. In 2021 he established a strategic alliance with VIA, a world-leading manufacturer of semiconductors and artificial intelligence services.
His constant pursuit of excellence and consistent dedication to innovation brought SKYLECT to life. Dr. Raikos is inspired to make SKYLECT the world’s top immersive education metaverse.
Ameed Raoof, MBChB, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anatomy in Radiology, Medical Education Division, Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar
Professor Ammed Raoof is the Associate Professor of Anatomy in Radiology Medical Education Division at Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar Foundation. He was previously appointed as,
• Associate professor of Anatomy, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. MI, USA
• Assistant Professor Emeritus of Medical Education- University of Michigan Medical School (UMMS)…
• Director, Division of Anatomical Sciences UMMS
• Director, Anatomical Donation Program, UMMS
• Director of the Plastination Lab, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor
Panagiota Kordali, MD
Clinical & Digital Anatomist, Medical Educator, COO & Managing Director at 3D Organon & SKYLECT
Dr. Kordali is a medical practitioner and educator with expertise in anatomical sciences. She is co-leading the multi-award-winning 3D Organon and SKYLECT software platforms. She has a background in surgery and teaching in tertiary education institutions. Dr. Kordali led 3D Organon to become the world’s leading…
… XR medical anatomy platform. She is also striving for SKYLECT to become the leading immersive education metaverse to promote the digital transformation of educational institutions, businesses, and professionals.
Boyne Bellew, BSc, MBBCh, DA(SA), FRCA, EDRA
Consultant Anaesthetist, Regional Anaesthesia Program Director, NHFD Anaesthetic Trust Lead, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, Imperial College London
Dr. Boyne Bellew has worked in South Africa, Australia, and the UK, and this has given him a deeper appreciation of how different healthcare systems work and what are the complexities and challenges faced in managing healthcare systems in the. …
… 21st century. He has appreciated the importance of delivering teaching to colleagues at advanced high-quality patient-centered care. Dr. Boyne Bellew has completed a regional anesthesia fellowship in Australia. The regional anesthesia teaching program and EDRA diploma help his patients to achieve improved anesthesia and pain management with quicker recovery times.
He is the director of the regional anesthesia program, delivering an ESRA accredited program, teaching senior anesthetists the various techniques of regional anesthesia. As part of this program, he is also researching all aspects of regional anesthesia. For his teaching, he uses virtual reality technology and is currently engaged in research in new and expanding fields of medicine.
Aaron McDonald, PhD FHEA
Associate Professor in Human Anatomy, Department of Physiology, Anatomy & Microbiology | College of Science, Health & Engineering, La Trobe University
Dr. Aaron McDonald has taught Human Anatomy to University students for over 20 years. He has designed, redesigned, and coordinated anatomy courses across all year levels and for multiple Science and Allied Health degrees at …
… La Trobe University. He currently co-coordinates a first-year course, with more than 2,300 students over 5 campuses (with both Online and Blended Instances). Aaron has published and presented teaching and learning strategies encompassing assessment weighting, blended learning, team-teaching, and implementing Digital Technologies into the anatomy curricula. He has achieved Fellow (FHEA) status in recognition of his excellence in teaching and learning support within Higher Education.
Bradley Chesham, BSc, MSc
XR Nursing – Princeton Frugal Innovation Accelerator
Bradley Chesham has mixed acute tertiary intensive care nursing experience, along with remote medicine. He has always taken pride in ongoing knowledge and skills development.
He has recently worked very hard to establish a new nursing education start-up company launched in July / August 2018 called Bundle of Rays. Innovating with innovation. Bradley is a well-qualified clinician, …
… mainly working in acute specialties with a focus on intensive care.
Allan Stirling, MBChB, MRCS, MClin Ed
Associate Professor of Clinical Anatomy Faculty of Health Sciences & Medicine
Dr. Allan Stirling is a medical graduate from the United Kingdom who emigrated in 2006 to Australia. He now works as the Associate Professor of Clinical Αnatomy at Bond University on the Gold Coast and works clinically as a surgical assistant in multiple surgical centers in the region. His research and teaching interests are …
… based around technology in teaching and in particular virtual and augmented reality technology to teach clinical anatomy.
- Australian Medical Council
- AHPRA – Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons – UK
- Australian Learning & Teaching Citation 2010
- Vice-Chancellors Quality Award for Teaching Excellence 2013
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching 2016
Publications in this area
- Stirling, A. C., & Moro, C. (2020). The use of virtual augmented and mixed reality in anatomy education. In Teaching Anatomy(pp. 359-366). Springer, Cham.
- Moro, C., Štromberga, Z., Raikos, A., & Stirling, A. (2017). The effectiveness of virtual and augmented reality in health sciences and medical anatomy. Anatomical sciences education, 10(6), 549-559.
- Moro, C., Štromberga, Z., & Stirling, A. (2017). Virtualisation devices for student learning: Comparison between desktop-based (Oculus Rift) and mobile-based (Gear VR) virtual reality in medical and health science education. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 33(6).
Diogo de Freitas Branco Pais, MD, MSc, PhD
Secretary-General International Federation of Associations of Anatomists (IFAA), Secretary-General International Committee of Symposia on Morphological Sciences (ICSMS), Chairman of the General Assembly of the Portuguese Anatomical Society (SAP/AAP), Full Professor and Chairman Department of Anatomy, Chairman Ethics Research Committee, NOVA Medical School | Faculdade de Ciências Médicas, Lisboa
- Medical Degree (MD) at the Faculty of Medical Sciences, NOVA University of Lisbon, on July 23, 1982.
- General Medical Internship completed on June 30, 1984.
- Master of Sciences Degree in Morphological Sciences at the Faculty of Medical Sciences, NOVA University of Lisbon on March 22, 1988. Approval (Unanimity) with Very Good (highest score).
- Doctor of Medicine (Ph.D.) in the specialty of Normal Morphology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, NOVA University of Lisbon, on May 21, 1996. Approval (Unanimity) – Very Good with Distinction and Praise (Summa cum laude).
- Competition for a post of Associate Professor, 1st Group, Subgroup A – Anatomy, in the Faculty of Medical Sciences, New University of Lisbon, on July 27, 1997. Approved unanimously. – Associate Professor of Anatomy, full time with tenure at the NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences of Lisbon from July 28, 1997.
- Academic title of Aggregate Professor in Medicine (Habilitation for Full Professorship), NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences, NOVA University of Lisbon, on November 14th, 2017. Approval (Unanimity).
- Full Professor of Anatomy and Medical Ethics at the NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences, NOVA University of Lisbon, starting on March 24th, 2020.
- Professor and Chairman of Anatomy and Regional Anatomy I and II from the academic year of 2011/2012 to date.
- Professor and Chairman of Medical Ethics, Deontology and Law at the NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences, NOVA University of Lisbon from the academic year 2008/2009 to date.
- Professor and Chairman of Legal Medicine at the NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences, NOVA University of Lisbon from the academic year 2013/2014.
- Chairman of the Pedagogical Committee of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year, NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences from 2000 to date.
- Member of the Department of Medical Education, NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences of Lisbon, from its inception on March 26, 1996, to date.
- Coordinator of the Teaching Quality Assurance System of the First (MD Degree), Second (Master of Science Degree), and 3rd (Ph.D. Degree) Cycles of Higher Studies at the NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences, New University of Lisbon, since November 2017.
- Coordinator of the Office of Body Donation (Donation Officer) in the Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medical Sciences, NOVA University of Lisbon, since 1990.
- Chairman of the Ethics Research Committee of the NOVA Medical School | Faculty of Medical Sciences (CEFCM), NOVA University of Lisbon from July 2008 to date.
- Vice-President Treasurer of the National Ethics Network in Portugal (‘RedÉtica’) since 2015.
- Secretary-General of the International Federation of Associations of Anatomists (IFAA) from 2019 to date.
- Past President and Chairman of the General Assembly of the Portuguese Anatomical Society (AAP-SAP).
- Past President of the European Federation for Experimental Morphology (EFEM).
- Advisor (Gross Anatomy Working Group) of the Federative International Programme on Anatomical Terminology (FIPAT) of the International Federation of Association of the anatomists (IFAA) from 2010 to 2021.
- Member of the Federative International Committee for Ethics and Medical Humanities (FICEM) of the International Federation of Association of the anatomists (IFAA) since 2005.
- Member of the Federative International Committee for Transcontinental, Interdisciplinary Discussion (FICTID) of the International Federation of Association of the anatomists (IFAA) since 2014.
- Member of the Federative International Committee for Equality and Diversity in Anatomy (FICEDA) of the International Federation of Association of the anatomists (IFAA) since 2016.
- Founding Member of TEPARG (Trans-European Anatomical Pedagogic Research Group).
- Member of 15 National and International Scientific Societies
- “Special Member” of the Portuguese Society of Comparative Anatomy.
- Honorary Member of the “Société Anatomique de Paris”.
- Author of 60 lectures, 96 oral presentations, 5 posters and 89 publications.
- Member of the Editorial Board of “European Journal of Anatomy”, “Journal of Morphological Sciences – Functional Anatomy and Cell Biology”, “Anatomy” and Referee of “Anatomical Sciences Education”, “Clinical Anatomy”, “European Journal of Anatomy”, “Annual Research & Review in Biology”, “Journal of Medical Case Reports” and “Acta Médica Portuguesa”.
Honors and Awards:
- ‘Anatomist Excellence Award’ given by the International Committee for Symposia on
- Morphological Sciences (ICSMS) during the XXIV International Symposium on Morphological Sciences held in Istanbul (Turkey), 1-6 September 2015, ‘as a recognition for his outstanding contribution to the Morphological Sciences, both National and Internationally, especially in the past ten years.
- “Best Teacher of the Year Award” in the 1992-1993 school year by the students of Orthoptics, School of Health Technology of Lisbon.
- “Best Teacher of the Year Award” at the Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Lisbon, by the students of the entire Dental Medicine Degree course, in the academic years 2003/2004, 2005/2006, 2006/2007, and 2007/2008.
Favio Reyna, BS, IB, BSc, MD
Radiology Resident at Hospital Universitario Esperanza
Favio Reyna is an MD enthusiast based in Guatemala with 4 years of experience in educational and clinical innovation in VR/AR/MX and medical 3D printing. He is ending his career in Radiology and works on many projects. Dr. Favio Reyna is a firm believer in exponential technologies that are transforming …
… medicine. His motivation is to bring these resources to Central American countries to improve healthcare and education.
As a result of his passion, he has created in 2018 Virtual anatomy at Universidad Francisco Marroquin (UFM), an educational project that seeks to complement traditional human anatomy education for medical students with VR/AR resources.
George Jobby, Ph.D
Assistant Professor, College of Health Sciences, Department of Nursing, University of Fujairah, UAE.
Dr. Jobby George has a Ph.D. in the Faculty of Allied Health and Basic Sciences and working as an Assistant Professor at the College of Health Sciences, Department of Nursing, University of Fujairah, UAE. He has an approved postdoctoral fellowship at Lund University and also …
… received an invitation from Karolinska Institute. His research interests are Neurotheology, Consciousness, and VR. His recent research was “Learning Anatomy through Virtual Reality”. Dr. Jobby has presented papers at conferences and has a number of publications. Dr. Jobby is a Peer Reviewer of International Journals. He teaches Anatomy, Neuroscience and is well versed in Public Speaking.
Gillian (Jill) D. Ellern, MLIS
Systems Librarian at Western Carolina University Cullowhee, North Carolina, United States
Gillian (Jill) D. Ellern has been the VR lab coordinator for Hunter Library at Western Carolina University since its creation three years ago. As the Systems Librarian at Western Carolina University for over 30 years, she has written and presented on a variety of library technology topics …
… including 3D Organon. Jill’s forthcoming co-authored article called “Black, White, and Grey: the Wicked Problem of Virtual Reality in Libraries” will be published in Information Technology and Libraries. The article covers their conclusions after interviewing academics around the US and Canada about the challenges of VR in higher education.
Heath McGowan, BSc, PhD
Lecturer in Anatomy, Department of Physiology, Anatomy & Microbiology, School of Life Sciences College of Science, Health & Engineering, La Trobe University
Dr. Heath McGowan is a teaching-focused academic in the School of Life Sciences at La Trobe University. He teaches anatomy to first, second, and third-year students, studying a variety …
… of health-related disciplines. Dr. Heath McGowan‘s project was a runner-up in the 2020 ITnews Benchmark Awards for excellence. Recent projects include the implementation of digital technologies (augmented reality and virtual reality) in the anatomy curriculum, team-teaching, and improving online teaching during COVID. Heath has recently been invited to become a founding member of the Australia wide Digital Anatomy Network.
Jo Bishop, BSc, PhD, PGCertEd, MD
Associate Professor Curriculum Lead, MD Program, Associate Dean, Student Affairs and Service Quality, ANZAHPE President
Dr. Jo Bishop is an Associate Dean of students and Curriculum Lead for the Bond Medical Program. She contributes significantly to international discussions on student support and medical education pedagogy. …
… A key role is to ensure a harmonized transition of graduates into the workforce, as a member of many of the medical dean’s sub-committees. She is aware of the national discussions and challenges faced by future health professionals. Jo has recently been involved with several webinars and international conferences and has the confidence to engage in required promotional activities related to these tasks.
She has nearly a decade of experience as a curriculum director and as an anatomist and former stem cell biologist and sees herself as a medical sciences educator.
Lars Peder Bovim, MSc
Assistant Professor, SimArena, Western Norway University of Applied Sciences (HVL)
Lars Bovim is a physiotherapist and head of the Vitality Center for Children and Youth at Bergen University Hospital. However, he is also an Assistant Professor at SimArena, HVL, and part of the team initiating and integrating the largest single VR implementation in a Norwegian University-setting so far, …
… with a total of 150 workstations on five campuses. Bovim and colleagues investigate, quality check, and implement VR-based solutions in educational and health-related settings. 3D Organon VR is as of 2021 implemented in the Bachelor’s program of Radiography and the Master’s program of Midwifery, and partly included in a wide range of other programs at HVL
Associate Professor- Genomics and Molecular Biology, BMED/ Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine, Bond University
Dr. Lotti Tajouri is an Associate Professor at Bond University and Adjunct A/Professor at Murdoch University. He is among Australia’s leading researchers in the field of molecular genetics. Additionally, Dr. Tajouri is also an exclusive member of both the Dubai …
… Police Scientific Council and Dubai Future Council on Community Security. His passions are both teaching (immunology, microbiology among others) and scientific research in molecular biology. In his latest work, Dr. Tajouri has led research on Public Health and Biosecurity showing mobile phones are contaminated with a plethora of viable microbes and may act therefore as Trojan horses for disease dissemination. He actively urges billions of phone users worldwide to sanitize their devices daily since “mobile phones are like people’s third (never-clean) hand that once touched will negate our hand washing hygiene”.
María Teresa Vázquez Osorio , PhD
Full Professor in Human Anatomy and Embryology and Director of the Bodies Donation Centre at the Complutense University of Madrid
Professor María Teresa Vázquez Osorio’s areas of expertise are: laryngeal reinnervation, anatomical variations with clinical interest. She is the President of the Spanish Anatomical Society and a member of the Federative International …
… Programme on Anatomical Research. Her editorial collaborations are: Assistant Editor at the European Journal of Anatomy and a reviewer in Surgical Radiologic Anatomy and Clinical Anatomy.
María Teresa Vázquez Osorio is an honorary member at the Mexican Society of Anatomy and a corresponding member of the British Association of Clinical Anatomy.
Nathan Moore, BN, MEd (Adult)
Lead for Digital Innovation, WSLHD, Clinical Lecturer, University of Sydney-Faculty of Medicine and Health Research & Education Network- Post Graduate Medical Education Centre Level 3 Education Block Westmead Hospital
Nathan Moore is the Lead for Digital Innovation for Western Sydney Local Health District. He is responsible for the identification …
… development, and deployment of innovative solutions to clinical and educational challenges. Nathan has developed, deployed, and researched several educational programs incorporating simulation, virtual reality, e-learning, and traditional learning approaches. He has over a decade of Simulation-based learning experience with a critical care nursing background. He has completed a Master’s in Education (Adult) and is currently completing his Ph.D. with the University of Sydney exploring the use of Virtual Reality in clinical education.
Olga Avilova, MD, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anatomy at the Department of Human Anatomy, Kharkiv National Medical University
Dr. Olga Avilova was born in 1989 in Kharkiv, Ukraine. She is an Assistant Professor of Anatomy at the Department of Human Anatomy, Kharkiv National Medical University. Olga obtained her specialty in Pathology. She teaches human anatomy…
… for the first and second-year English-medium students for the past 10 years. She is responsible for the facilitation of international cooperation with overseas universities. Her research interest is in medical education, virtual reality in anatomy, and immunotoxicology. Her thesis concerns the topic of xenobiotic impact on the organs of the immune system, in particular the thymus and spleen. She is an active member of the American Association for Anatomy.
Rob Theriault, M.E.T., BHSc, CCP(f)
Immersive Technology Manager, Centre for Teaching and Learning, Georgian College, Canada
Rob Theriault is the Immersive Technology Manager for Georgian College. His role is to help faculty and programs to explore and integrate immersive technologies (e.g. virtual, augmented, mixed reality, and artificial intelligence) into curricula. He is a thought leader in the …
… field of immersive technologies for learning and is the President of the Canadian Chapter of the Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN) and Co-chair of the Champions for Higher Education in XR (CHEX). Rob has a Bachelor of Health Sciences Degree in Paramedicine from Victoria in University in Melbourne, Australia, and a Master of Educational Technology (M.E.T.) from the University of British Columbia.
He is a published author, researcher, blogger, podcaster and speaks at conferences across Canada and internationally.
Rodolfo Paredes Esparza. MV, PhD
Academic Director of Clinical Education and Simulation. Academic Vice-rector at Andrés Bello University
Dr. Rodolfo Paredes Esparza is a Full Professor, DVM. He holds a Master’s degree in Human Resources and a Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences. He is the Academic Director of Clinical Education and Simulation of Academic Vice Rectory. He is also the President of the Bioethical Committee…
… at the Andres Bello University (UNAB). Previously, Rodolfo Paredes was an Undergraduate Director of UNAB, Director and Academic Secretary of Veterinary Medicine School. His research work in Parasite-host interactions and immune response against parasites, innovation in medical devices using an extracellular matrix, and Medical Education has been financed by national and international research grants and published in several journals.
Rohan Jotwani, MD, MBA
Academic Anesthesiologist and Interventional Pain Specialist | Faculty, Weill Cornell Medical Center/NewYork Presbyterian
Dr. Rohan Jotwani practices clinically within the fields of Anesthesiology and Pain Management. He completed his pain medicine fellowship at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School…
…and his residency at Weill Cornell, Hospital for Special Surgery, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. His research interests focus on tackling problems in the convergence of perioperative and pain medicine, healthcare delivery, organizational behavior and technology. His latest work examines using extended reality techniques (specifically through 3D Organon software) to improve procedural learning in pain medicine. He serves as an advisor for a number of for-profit and non-profit organizations, has published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, has been featured in major news outlets, and has won numerous awards for clinical, business and research projects, including MedTech Boston’s 40 under 40 award.
Sana Farid, MBBS
Pioneer XR & Ai Strategist, Founder – Munfarid, VRXOne
Listed among TOP 100 Women in XR globally, Dr. Sana Farid is a General Surgeon in Training and a pioneer in Extended Reality (XR) and Artificial Intelligence (Ai) in Healthcare. As a devoted caregiver, she accomplished applying Immersive Technology to improve human life and spearheaded initiating Immersive Technology-based …
… programs for pediatrics, patients with terminal illnesses, special needs, geriatrics, and refugees. Dr. Sana continues with her contributions to research and building industry standards which won her highly prestigious recognitions and awards globally, as she educates about the successful Implementation Framework of Immersive Technologies, including sensitive issues in innovations such as building awareness, best practices, and regulations.
Shazia Iqbal, BSc, MSc, PhD
Assistant Professor and Director Medical Education Center Vision College of Medicine Riyadh Saudi Arabia
Dr. Shazia Iqbal is one of the best medical educators in the region. She has a masters in medical education from the University of Liverpool, UK. She is an associate fellow of the association for medical education Europe (AMEE) in the UK …
Currently, she is working as Director of Medical Education Centre Vision Colleges Riyadh Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Iqbal is a chairperson and head of Continue Professional Development (CPD) activities at the Saudi Society for Medical Education (SSME) Riyadh Region. SSME is keen to enhance medical education among health professionals and conduct scientific events in the field of health professions education in the middle east region.
As a medical educator, she has a special interest to enhance interactive learning promote and innovative 3D educational technologies, especially the role of Artificial intelligence (AI) in medical education, and the use of mixed reality in teaching. She assists in developing and reviewing curricula at medical institutions with a special interest in pedagogical techniques using educational technologies.
Thomas Boillat, BSc, MSc, PhD
Assistant Professor-Healthcare Innovation and Technologies College of Medicine
Dr. Thomas Boillat is an assistant professor in healthcare innovation and technologies. He is also the co-founder of the Design Lab, an initiative of the Mohammed Bin Rashid University of Medicine and Health Sciences. He designs and evaluates digital health solutions in view …
… of increasing patient satisfaction, experience, and safety. He is also a Human-centered approach advocate and teaches Design Thinking to undergraduates, postgraduates and medical professionals. He also facilitates Design Thinking workshops and projects with medical professionals, designers, and engineers to equip them with skills that make them actors of change.
Yuriy Vasil’ev, Grand Ph.D
Professor of Operative surgery and topographic anatomy department, I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University
Dr. Yuriy Vasil’ev is a Doctor of Medical Sciences in human anatomy and dentistry. He is a professor at the topographic anatomy and surgery department of the Sechenov University (Moscow, Russia). He also runs…
… private dental practice in Moscow.
Dr. Yuriy Vasil’ev gives lectures and dissection workshops for students studying general medicine, pediatrics, and dentistry. For more than 15 years he has been engaged in improving the effectiveness and safety of local anesthesia in the maxillofacial region, as well as education issues using augmented and virtual reality, including various interactive anatomical tables and VR technologies.
Dr. Yuriy Vasil’ev and his colleagues from Sechenov University translated 3D Organon platform into the Russian language, so to use it for all training purposes at a national level.